Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Iliotibial Band Syndrome, is a common overuse injury that affects the iliotibial band, a thick band of connective tissue running along the outside of the thigh. This condition is often seen in athletes, particularly runners and cyclists, and can be effectively managed with appropriate treatment and rest.
About Iliotibial Band Syndrome
The iliotibial band (ITB) is a fibrous structure originating from the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and tensor fascia lata muscles, attaching to two points on the outside of the knee. When the ITB becomes too tight, it can lead to inflammation from repeated rubbing against the boney bump or sensitive fatty tissue. ITB syndrome commonly affects individuals engaged in activities with repetitive knee flexion, like running, accounting for nearly 25% of lower body injuries in runners. Nevertheless, this condition is not exclusive to runners; it also occurs in bikers, weight lifters, soccer players, and more.
Symptoms of Iliotibial Band Syndrome
- Pain on the outside of the knee, often described as a sharp, burning sensation
- Pain that worsens during activities that involve bending and straightening the knee, like running, walking, or climbing stairs
- Pain or discomfort during or after physical activity, which may subside with rest
- Swelling or tenderness on the outside of the knee
- Sensation of the IT band “snapping” or “popping”
- Weakness or tightness in the hip or thigh muscles
- Pain that may radiate along the IT band, extending up the thigh towards the hip or down towards the shin
Your Visit With us
Embark on your path to pain relief and improved well-being at Crux Sport & Spine with our comprehensive approach. Strengthening the muscles of your hip is a vital part of our treatment, leading to symptom resolution for the majority of our patients with ITB syndrome. Our skilled St. George chiropractors are ready to help you regain pain-free movement.
We prioritize your health by conducting thorough movement-based assessments during each visit, identifying crucial factors contributing to your discomfort. Through a combination of targeted muscle release techniques and chiropractic adjustments, we release muscle tension, facilitating improved movement and overall well-being.
Our care extends beyond the adjustment; we guide you to our dedicated rehab area, empowering you with personalized stretches and exercises to continue progress beyond our clinic. Experience exceptional chiropractic care at Crux Sport & Spine and take the first step towards a pain-free, healthier life by visiting us today!